Senior Data Visualization Developer/Programmer (Job #493147)
The Senior Data Visualization Developer/Programmer will be responsible for developing and managing multiple operation stories/tasks on an ongoing basis and will often work on Agile projects. He or she will also lead innovation with data visualization tools at Hilltop, keeping abreast of and implementing cutting-edge technologies and approaches to create meaningful visualizations of complex data. Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Develop moderate- to advanced-complexity visualizations as part of a project team
- Gather requirements, develop, and deliver visualization products to customers on an ad hoc basis as part of operations, including dashboards, reports, and scorecards
- Respond to SQL and visualization questions from programmers, analysts, and directors
- Oversee development and support of training materials for Hilltop data visualizations
- Play a leading role in the build out of the information architecture of Hilltop’s Tableau® server, and in the design standards for all reports and dashboards. Be responsible for consistent branding, and for designing user interfaces that are intuitive, leading to a positive user experience
- Manage the user experience in Hilltop’s data visualization products, including overseeing Information Architecture and User Interface design of the Hilltop visualization platforms
Requires a master’s degree with course work in statistical analysis, advanced data modeling, computer science, information systems, health policy, or equivalent, as well as five years of experience with data visualization applications and SQL programming. (A bachelor’s degree with course work in statistical analysis, advanced data modeling, computer science, information systems, health policy, or equivalent, plus seven years of experience with data visualization applications and SQL programming, may be substituted for the master’s degree and required experience.) Must have strong analytical skills with attention to detail; programming experience with Tableau® (or equivalent) and SQL; have employed advanced visualization techniques applying best practices for user interface design and user experience; be comfortable working in both a team environment and independently; be proficient with Google G Suite and Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; have experience with version control software and ticketing systems; and have excellent verbal and written communication and time management skills.
The ideal candidate will possess the following professional and interpersonal competencies: a strong interest in working with large data sets; familiarity with Python and UNIX /Linux; Tableau® server administration experience; a knowledge of Medicare and Medicaid data sets and databases and experience building visualizations; and the ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams and be flexible in a fast-paced, Agile environment.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. The position is full-time, offers opportunity for professional growth, and includes the full university benefits package, including tuition remission for qualified candidates. Note: this is a grant-funded position, wherein employment is contingent upon the renewal of the grant.
Applicants should provide a portfolio of previous work. Examples of work may include products from Tableau, Adobe Illustrator, Mapbox, D3, R, Python, etc. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled, but for best consideration, submit a cover letter (indicating Job #493147), resume, samples of data visualizations, and the contact information for three professional references by January 31, 2020, to the Senior Data Visualization Developer/Programmer Search Committee at:
firstname.lastname@example.org (MS Word attachments required)*
*Note: The cover letter, resume, references, and examples should be included in separate attachments.
As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation upon hire showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
UMBC IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
January 13, 2020