Data Manager/Programmer or Data Manager/Senior Programmer
Technology Innovation Team
The Hilltop Institute at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) is seeking a Data Manager/Programmer or Data Manager/Senior Programmer to join its Technology Innovation team. Hilltop is a university-based, non-partisan research organization dedicated to improving the health and wellbeing of people and communities. Hilltop conducts research, policy analysis, and sophisticated data analytics to support health care financing and delivery system reform in Maryland and other states. Hilltop is at the forefront of national efforts to find data-driven solutions to complex problems facing state policymakers as publicly funded health care systems transition to new models that reward quality and value over volume. With access to an extensive onsite data repository that includes Medicare and Medicaid administrative data, hospital discharge data, nursing home assessment data, and long-term services and supports (LTSS) assessment and program participant data, Hilltop’s Technology Innovation team provides statistical programming, web applications, data visualizations and reports, and project management services to various external and internal clients for policy analysis, program evaluation, and rate setting. Of the suite of products supported by the team, the Medicaid Management Information System (MMIS)-based data exploration application, called the Decision Support System (DSS), is utilized by the Maryland Department of Health, as well as the public at large. Other clients include the Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA), the Maryland Health Care Commission, and the Health Services Cost Review Commission (HSCRC), as well as federal government and several state Medicaid agencies. The incumbent will work under the guidance of the Chief Technology and Compliance Officer.
The incumbent will assume a prominent role in the growth of Hilltop’s data science and cybersecurity capabilities. As a key member of the Technology Innovation team, s/he will be responsible for managing Hilltop’s repository of health care data sets. As administrator of Hilltop’s data management solutions, the individual will:
- Monitor both inbound and outbound data sets for compliance to data use agreements (DUAs), Institutional Review Board (IRB) requirements, and HIPAA regulations. When necessary, inform data governance and compliance procedures and protocols. Manage the integration of new data streams into the Hilltop infrastructure.
- Develop and maintain extract, transform, load (ETL) processes; including those processes that organize Hilltop data sets for use in the data warehouse and in statistical projects. Data sets include Medicaid (MMIS), Medicare, LTSS assessment, nursing home assessment (minimum data set—MDS) data, and HSCRC data.
- Collaborate with both the Hilltop Information Systems and Programming team and the Data Visualization group to manage automated reports.
- Act as a liaison to UMBC’s Department of Information Technology (DoIT) for automation and infrastructure operational tasks, as well as for project-based tasks, such as extending or creating new database and application solutions, including SQL Server, SAS data sets, and other databases as needed.
- Monitor and maintain group and user privileges in applications and databases.
- Advise in the creation of new data warehouses, the implementation of applications such as Enterprise Service Buses (ESB), and authentication and authorization solutions such as OAuth (among other items) and/or Shibboleth.
- Use the data integration tool SQL Integration Services to monitor and load inbound data sets onto Hilltop infrastructure in compliance with DUAs.
- Work with system administrators to configure Linux and Windows directories and manage role-based access control to those systems and their data sets.
- Interface with Hilltop Directors and CTO to support automation efforts, account setup (FTP/other), and data acquisition/distribution.
- Work closely with the Data Visualization Developer to automate data feeds and reports.
- Monitor intrusion prevention reports and scan and provide reports on cybersecurity status.
- Work with CTO to respond to cybersecurity incidents or questions.
- Provide cybersecurity training to staff as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requires a master’s degree in computer science, information systems, or a related field and one year of relevant experience, or a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, or a related field with three years of relevant experience. Must be proficient in one or more programming language (e.g., SAS, SQL, R, Python) and Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Must have strong analytical and effective communications skills (both verbal and written) and the ability to work in multidisciplinary project teams.
Data Manager/Senior Programmer
Requires a master’s degree in computer science, information systems, or a related field with five years of relevant experience, or a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, or a related field with seven years of relevant experience. Must be proficient in one or more programming language (e.g., SAS, SQL, R, Python) and Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Must have strong analytical and effective communications skills (both verbal and written) and the ability to lead multidisciplinary project teams; is responsible for some project deliverables and works directly with clients.
The ideal candidate will possess the following professional and interpersonal competencies: the ability to work with large databases and on a variety of platforms supporting quantitative analysis, predictive analytics, mathematical modeling, and/or machine learning; experience in building automated processes to extract, transform, and load large data sets, preferably health/HIPAA-protected data sets; experience with Linux, Tableau, SQL and SQL Integration Services, Git, and/or Agile software development methodology, as well as programming skills in SAS, Python and/or R; a knowledge of publicly funded health insurance programs such as Medicare and Medicaid; an interest in federal and state health policy; and well-honed problem solving skills.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. The position is full-time, offers opportunity for professional growth, and includes the full university benefits package, including tuition remission for qualified candidates. Note: this is a grant-funded position wherein employment is contingent upon the renewal of the grant.
Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled, but for best consideration, submit a cover letter (indicating Job #492996), resume, and the contact information for three professional references by August 16, 2019, to the Data Manager Search Committee.
email@example.com (MS Word or PDF attachments required)*
*Note: The cover letter, resume, and references should be included in separate attachments.
As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation upon hire showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
UMBC IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
July 31, 2019